What is Zosyn?

Zosyn is a combination of two antibiotics administered by intravenous drip and used to fight bacterial infections. Zosyn's two active ingredients are piperacillin and tazobactam. Piperacillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic that works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Tazobactam is an enzyme inhibitor (beta-lactamase inhibitor) that helps the piperacillin work better. This medication is effective against a wide range of bacterial infections and pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...