What is Zosyn?

Zosyn is a combination of two antibiotics administered by intravenous drip and used to fight bacterial infections. Zosyn's two active ingredients are piperacillin and tazobactam. Piperacillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic that works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Tazobactam is an enzyme inhibitor (beta-lactamase inhibitor) that helps the piperacillin work better. This medication is effective against a wide range of bacterial infections and pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...