What is Zosyn?

Zosyn is a combination of two antibiotics administered by intravenous drip and used to fight bacterial infections. Zosyn's two active ingredients are piperacillin and tazobactam. Piperacillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic that works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Tazobactam is an enzyme inhibitor (beta-lactamase inhibitor) that helps the piperacillin work better. This medication is effective against a wide range of bacterial infections and pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...
When should I take antibiotics?
Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...