What is Xifaxan?

Xifaxan (rifaximin) is a prescription medicine approved to treat patients suffering from travelers' diarrhea (TD) caused by E. coli bacteria, and for patients who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D). It may also help patients with overt hepatic encephalopathy (brain dysfunction caused by liver disease). Side effects may include nausea, flatulence, and fatigue. The drug may be prescribed for children as young as 12 being treated for TD, but its safety is not certain for children being treated for other illnesses. Its safety is also not well established for pregnant or nursing mothers. Xifaxan is a tablet that may be taken two or three times a day. Dosage and length of treatment will depend on the patient's illness; Xifaxan must be used only as directed. If diarrhea worsens or does not improve, the patient should call the doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
Not finishing an entire course of antibiotic treatment can have some bad outcomes.  Although you...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...