What is Xifaxan?

Xifaxan (rifaximin) is a prescription medicine approved to treat patients suffering from travelers' diarrhea (TD) caused by E. coli bacteria, and for patients who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D). It may also help patients with overt hepatic encephalopathy (brain dysfunction caused by liver disease). Side effects may include nausea, flatulence, and fatigue. The drug may be prescribed for children as young as 12 being treated for TD, but its safety is not certain for children being treated for other illnesses. Its safety is also not well established for pregnant or nursing mothers. Xifaxan is a tablet that may be taken two or three times a day. Dosage and length of treatment will depend on the patient's illness; Xifaxan must be used only as directed. If diarrhea worsens or does not improve, the patient should call the doctor. 
 Xifaxan is the brand-name medication for a drug called rifaximin. It is an intestinal antibiotic used to treat certain kinds of traveler’s diarrhea that have been caused by E. coli bacteria in contaminated food or drink. You can only get this medicine through a doctor’s prescription.
Xifaxan is an antibiotic used to treat certain kinds of of traveler's diarrhea caused by food or drink that's been contamined with E.coli bacteria. Xifaxan is the brand-name for a drug called rifaximin. Your doctor may prescribe Xifaxan to prevent hepatic encephalopathy that has been caused by liver disease. If you develop hepatic encephalopathy your liver is unable to rid your body of toxins and your brain function may diminish. Xifaxan, which is available only by prescription, comes in tablet form and is taken with or without food.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...