What is trimethoprim?

Trimethoprim is a prescription medication that's used to treat certain bacterial infections, including urinary tract infections, respiratory infections and middle ear infections. Trimethoprim should be taken by mouth, usually once a day, at the same time each day. There are several different brand-name versions of this medication and there are also generic versions available. Talk to your doctor to determine whether trimethoprim is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...
Can antibiotics cure Lyme disease?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Two key points about Lyme disease:Active Lyme disease can persist after antibiotic therapy.Active Ly...