What is trimethoprim?

Trimethoprim is a prescription medication that's used to treat certain bacterial infections, including urinary tract infections, respiratory infections and middle ear infections. Trimethoprim should be taken by mouth, usually once a day, at the same time each day. There are several different brand-name versions of this medication and there are also generic versions available. Talk to your doctor to determine whether trimethoprim is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...