What is tobramycin?

Tobramycin, also known by the brand name Nebcin, is an aminoglycoside antibiotic used to treat serious bacterial infections. It is effective against particular strains of bacteria, and works by targeting and killing those bacteria. It is available by prescription only and is usually administered as an injection by a doctor or nurse in the hospital or doctor's office. It can, however, be self-administered if a person is properly shown how to do so by a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines recommend antibiotics before going to the dentist fo...