What is tobramycin?

Tobramycin, also known by the brand name Nebcin, is an aminoglycoside antibiotic used to treat serious bacterial infections. It is effective against particular strains of bacteria, and works by targeting and killing those bacteria. It is available by prescription only and is usually administered as an injection by a doctor or nurse in the hospital or doctor's office. It can, however, be self-administered if a person is properly shown how to do so by a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?
Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the s...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...