What is Tobi?

Tobi (tobramycin inhalation solution) is an aminoglycoside antibiotic used to treat lung infections associated with cystic fibrosis. Cystic fibrosis causes the airways of the lungs to become congested with mucus and can result in breathing difficulties and lung infections. Tobi, which is inhaled using a nebulizer, works by killing the bacteria that causes the infections and improves breathing ability. It is effective only against bacterial infections, not viral infections such as colds or flu. Tobi is only available by prescription.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...