What is tigecycline?

Tigecycline is a wide-spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections throughout many areas of the body, including bones, kidneys, liver, lungs, skin and stomach. Tigecycline effectively treats infections caused by resistant bacteria, including bacteria with a resistance to tetracycline. This prescription drug is administered by injection. Tigecycline is manufactured under the brand name Tygacil. Data has shown that people who receive tigecycline are more likely to die from worsening infections or complications of infections, compared to people who receive other antibiotic drugs. For this reason, tigecycline is recommended only when other treatments aren't suitable. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...