What is tigecycline?

Tigecycline is a wide-spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections throughout many areas of the body, including bones, kidneys, liver, lungs, skin and stomach. Tigecycline effectively treats infections caused by resistant bacteria, including bacteria with a resistance to tetracycline. This prescription drug is administered by injection. Tigecycline is manufactured under the brand name Tygacil. Data has shown that people who receive tigecycline are more likely to die from worsening infections or complications of infections, compared to people who receive other antibiotic drugs. For this reason, tigecycline is recommended only when other treatments aren't suitable. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Can antibiotics cause extreme thirst and a white tongue?
Antibiotics can suppress your good bacteria and lead to a yeast infection and give you a white tongu...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...