What is Telavancin (injection)?

Telavancin is a type of injected lipoglycopeptide antibiotic that is used to treat serious skin infections. As an antibiotic, it is effective only against bacterial infections and not viral or fungal infections. It is usually administered through a slow intravenous drip over the course of an hour, once a day, for one to two weeks. Telavancin is prescribed under the brand name Vibativ.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...