What is Telavancin (injection)?

Telavancin is a type of injected lipoglycopeptide antibiotic that is used to treat serious skin infections. As an antibiotic, it is effective only against bacterial infections and not viral or fungal infections. It is usually administered through a slow intravenous drip over the course of an hour, once a day, for one to two weeks. Telavancin is prescribed under the brand name Vibativ.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...