What is telavancin?

Telavancin is an antibiotic used to treat certain types of serious bacterial skin infections. The medication is available as a powder that is mixed to form a solution used in an infusion. It is sold under the brand name Vibativ. The infusion usually takes about an hour and is done daily for one to two weeks. Telavancin works by killing bacteria. Telavancin does not work on viral infections, including flu and the common cold, because it treats bacterial infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...
Can antibiotics cause extreme thirst and a white tongue?
Antibiotics can suppress your good bacteria and lead to a yeast infection and give you a white tongu...