What is neomycin?

Neomycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic that reduces bacterial population in the intestines. The medication blocks the production of proteins that the bacterial populations need to survive. It is often prescribed to a person with liver disease in order to reduce the symptoms of hepatic coma. It also may be prescribed before intestinal surgery to prevent infection. Neomycin is available as a tablet or an oral solution. This medication is also available under the brand name Neo-Fradin.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...