What is neomycin?

Neomycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic that reduces bacterial population in the intestines. The medication blocks the production of proteins that the bacterial populations need to survive. It is often prescribed to a person with liver disease in order to reduce the symptoms of hepatic coma. It also may be prescribed before intestinal surgery to prevent infection. Neomycin is available as a tablet or an oral solution. This medication is also available under the brand name Neo-Fradin.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...