What is meropenem?

Meropenem is the name of the active ingredient in the brand name injectable antibiotic Merrem, which is used to treat serious infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is in the antibiotic group called carbapenem. It kills the bacteria by interfering with the formation of and destroying the bacterial cell wall. Meropenem is used for infections, such as bacterial meningitis and appendicitis.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...