What is Macrodantin?

Macrodantin is an antibiotic used primarily to treat urinary tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It works by targeting several processes that are necessary for the bacterial cells to reproduce. The active ingredient in Macrodantin is nitrofurantoin, specifically as the macrocrystals (large crystals). Macrodantin is similar to Furadantin, which contains nitrofurantoin in smaller crystals. The macrocrystals in Macrodantin seem to cause less nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach upset than the smaller crystals cause.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...