What is Macrodantin?

Macrodantin is an antibiotic used primarily to treat urinary tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It works by targeting several processes that are necessary for the bacterial cells to reproduce. The active ingredient in Macrodantin is nitrofurantoin, specifically as the macrocrystals (large crystals). Macrodantin is similar to Furadantin, which contains nitrofurantoin in smaller crystals. The macrocrystals in Macrodantin seem to cause less nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach upset than the smaller crystals cause.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
Not finishing an entire course of antibiotic treatment can have some bad outcomes.  Although you...
Do antibiotics treat all bacterial infections?
There are many different types of antibiotics that are made to treat various bacterial infections. H...