What is fosfomycin?

Fosfomycin is an antibiotic used only as a single dose treatment of urinary tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It comes in one formulation: granules to be mixed with three to four ounces of cold water and taken by mouth. It is marketed under the brand name Monurol.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...