What is demeclocycline (Declomycin)?

Demeclocycline (Declomycin) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat pneumonia, acne, Lyme disease and other infections. It is in the drug class of tetracycline antibiotics. Like other tetracyclines, demeclocycline should be taken on an empty stomach, and should never be taken with dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese or ice cream.

Demeclocycline is also often used for SIADH, although it is not approved by the FDA for this. Syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) is a disorder in which too much natural antidiuretic hormone is secreted and urination is inhibited. Demeclomycin causes increased urination in these people.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...