What is colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral)?

Colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral) is an antibiotic injected in the vein by a qualified medical professional, such as a doctor or nurse. It is in the class of antibiotics called the polymyxins. It is given to fight several types of infections, and is the antibiotic given as a last resort if bacteria are resistant and other antibiotics have not worked. It is usually only given in hospitals or at outpatient health services, but may be given in a home health care setting.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics cause extreme thirst and a white tongue?
Antibiotics can suppress your good bacteria and lead to a yeast infection and give you a white tongu...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...