What is colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral)?

Colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M Parenteral) is an antibiotic injected in the vein by a qualified medical professional, such as a doctor or nurse. It is in the class of antibiotics called the polymyxins. It is given to fight several types of infections, and is the antibiotic given as a last resort if bacteria are resistant and other antibiotics have not worked. It is usually only given in hospitals or at outpatient health services, but may be given in a home health care setting.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines recommend antibiotics before going to the dentist fo...