What is Cleocin I.V.?

Cleocin I.V. contains the active ingredient clindamycin in an injectable formulation. It is an antibiotic used intravenously in the treatment of severe infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It works by interfering with the protein production in the bacteria. It treats only bacterial, not viral or fungal, infections. It is typically given three to four times daily by medical personnel.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...