What is bacitracin?

Bacitracin is the active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) ointment products for self treatment of minor skin infections. It is also available by prescription in an ophthalmic ointment for eye infection and a powder for solution for intramuscular (IM) injection for lung infections caused by susceptible Staphylococci. Because bacitracin is active against gram-positive organisms only, the OTC ointment is often combined with either or both neomycin and polymyxin B, which are effective against gram-negative organisms.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...