What is bacitracin?

Bacitracin is the active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) ointment products for self treatment of minor skin infections. It is also available by prescription in an ophthalmic ointment for eye infection and a powder for solution for intramuscular (IM) injection for lung infections caused by susceptible Staphylococci. Because bacitracin is active against gram-positive organisms only, the OTC ointment is often combined with either or both neomycin and polymyxin B, which are effective against gram-negative organisms.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...