What is aztreonam?

Aztreonam is an injectable antibiotic used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria. Aztreonam, which was originally sold under the brand name Azactam, is the first agent in a group of antibiotics called monobactam. Aztreonam kills only the bacteria called gram-negative. It will not kill Staphylococcal (staph) or Streptococcal (strep) bacteria because these are gram-positive. It is used to treat pneumonia, gynecological infections, urinary tract infections and infections of the skin, bone, joint, stomach and blood caused by susceptible gram-negative bacteria. It is administered intravenously and sometimes intramuscularly, usually two or three times a day.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...