What is aztreonam?

Aztreonam is an injectable antibiotic used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria. Aztreonam, which was originally sold under the brand name Azactam, is the first agent in a group of antibiotics called monobactam. Aztreonam kills only the bacteria called gram-negative. It will not kill Staphylococcal (staph) or Streptococcal (strep) bacteria because these are gram-positive. It is used to treat pneumonia, gynecological infections, urinary tract infections and infections of the skin, bone, joint, stomach and blood caused by susceptible gram-negative bacteria. It is administered intravenously and sometimes intramuscularly, usually two or three times a day.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...