What is an antibiotic?

An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses. Most of the infections we have are viral, so antibiotics are not helpful. So they are worthless against the common cold. Some antibiotics have direct killing power against bacteria, and other antibiotics render the bacteria more susceptible to our own immune system. Often the bacteria learn how to avoid the antibiotic, so antibiotic resistance develops. Therefore, it is important not to overuse antibiotics.

An antibiotic is a substance (usually a drug) that either inhibited growth or kills a germ. In order for a germ to be inhibited or killed, it must be susceptible to the drug. This is determined by genes in the germ. If the antibiotic does not inhibit growth or kill the germ, the germ is call antibiotic resistant.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...