What is ampicillin and sulbactam?

Ampicillin and sulbactam are the active ingredients in the brand-name intravenous antibiotic called Unasyn. It is the combination of the beta-lactam (penicillin-type) antibiotic ampicillin and the drug sulbactam to prevent the bacterial enzymatic destruction of the antibiotic, called a betalactamase inhibitor. It is used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?
There are many different antibiotic ointments. Some antibiotic ointments can cause an allergic r...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...