What is ampicillin and sulbactam?

Ampicillin and sulbactam are the active ingredients in the brand-name intravenous antibiotic called Unasyn. It is the combination of the beta-lactam (penicillin-type) antibiotic ampicillin and the drug sulbactam to prevent the bacterial enzymatic destruction of the antibiotic, called a betalactamase inhibitor. It is used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...