What is the most important information I should know about Zotrim?

You should know that Zotrim (sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim tablet and phenazopyridine tablet) is a combination product that contains the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (the active ingredients in Bactrim DS and Septra DS) and phenazopyridine (the active ingredient in Pyridium). Therefore, you should not take it if you have an allergy to sulfa drugs, to trimethoprim or to phenazopyridine. Talk with your doctor if you have renal or hepatic disease, asthma, severe allergies or glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. Talk to your doctor if you suffer from alcoholism or poor nutrition. Tell your doctor if you take medication for seizures or are at risk for low folate in your blood for any other reason. Phenazopyridine causes a color change in the urine and other body fluids.

Do not take Zotrim if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.

Zotrim for urinary tract infections should not be confused with the OTC weight loss product also called Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...