What is imipenem and cilastatin for injection?

Imipenem-cilastatin for injection is an antibiotic used to treat serious infections caused by susceptible bacteria. This antibiotic is composed of two active ingredients: imipenem, which is an antibiotic, and cilastatin, which inhibits a kidney enzyme from metabolizing the antibiotic completely. Imipenem-cilastatin for injection comes in two formulations that are administered differently. The intramuscular (IM) formulation is reconstituted with lidocaine (a numbing agent) and injected into a muscle from which it is slowly absorbed. The intravenous (IV) formulation is reconstituted with water and is administered by slow infusion through an IV line over one hour. Imipenem-cilastatin is used to treat infections of the female reproductive organs, lower respiratory system, stomach, skin, bones, joints, heart, urinary tract and others.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...