What is imipenem-cilastatin?

Imipenem-cilastatin is the name of the two active ingredients in the brand name combination drug Primaxin. It is used to treat severe infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is classified as a carbapenem antibiotic and is administered intravenously (IV) or intramuscularily (IM). Imipenem is the antibiotic ingredient; cilistatin is an inhibitor of a kidney enzyme that metabolizes the imipenem.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can I take antibiotics for an oral infection if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your dentist may need to use or prescribe medication as part of your treatment. Some medications...
Can antibiotics cause extreme thirst and a white tongue?
Antibiotics can suppress your good bacteria and lead to a yeast infection and give you a white tongu...