What is imipenem-cilastatin?

Imipenem-cilastatin is the name of the two active ingredients in the brand name combination drug Primaxin. It is used to treat severe infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is classified as a carbapenem antibiotic and is administered intravenously (IV) or intramuscularily (IM). Imipenem is the antibiotic ingredient; cilistatin is an inhibitor of a kidney enzyme that metabolizes the imipenem.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
Can antibiotics help relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis?
Antibiotics are an old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) that are getting a fresh look, though...