What is imipenem and cilastatin used for?

Imipenem and cilastatin (combined in a drug called Primaxin) is an antibiotic. It is used to treat serious infections that are mild to moderate in severity, such as lower respiratory infection, heart valve infection, infection caused by a burst appendix, and some abscesses.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...