What is besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension?

Besifloxacin is the active ingredient in an antibiotic formulated as an ophthalmic suspension (eye drops) under the brand name Besivance. It belongs to the class of drugs known as fluoroquinolones. It is used to treat eye infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is not effective for non-bacterial eye infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?
Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the s...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...
Do antibiotics treat all bacterial infections?
There are many different types of antibiotics that are made to treat various bacterial infections. H...