What are the precautions for daptomycin (Cubicin)?

Daptomycin (Cubicin) has several precautions that your doctor should discuss with you. These include:

• Do not use daptomycin if you know you are allergic to it or any other medication in the class of cyclic lipopeptide antibiotics. If you don't know for sure, talk to your doctor if you think you might be allergic to it.
  • Make sure you tell your doctor and pharmacist all prescription drugs and nonprescription substances you are taking, including vitamins, aspirin or any dietary supplements. Daptomycin may interact with other drugs. Your doctor might have to change your doses if you take antibiotics, such as tobramycin. It may also interact with cholesterol drugs known as "statins" - any medication that ends in "statin," such as atorvastatin (Lipitor). It might also interact with warfarin (Coumadin).
  • Make sure to tell your doctor if you have kidney problems.
  • Make sure to tell your doctor about your plans to get pregnant, if you are currently pregnant or if you are breastfeeding. Daptomycin might cause harm to a developing baby.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...