What are the precautions for daptomycin (Cubicin)?

Daptomycin (Cubicin) has several precautions that your doctor should discuss with you. These include:

• Do not use daptomycin if you know you are allergic to it or any other medication in the class of cyclic lipopeptide antibiotics. If you don't know for sure, talk to your doctor if you think you might be allergic to it.
  • Make sure you tell your doctor and pharmacist all prescription drugs and nonprescription substances you are taking, including vitamins, aspirin or any dietary supplements. Daptomycin may interact with other drugs. Your doctor might have to change your doses if you take antibiotics, such as tobramycin. It may also interact with cholesterol drugs known as "statins" - any medication that ends in "statin," such as atorvastatin (Lipitor). It might also interact with warfarin (Coumadin).
  • Make sure to tell your doctor if you have kidney problems.
  • Make sure to tell your doctor about your plans to get pregnant, if you are currently pregnant or if you are breastfeeding. Daptomycin might cause harm to a developing baby.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When cold or flu germs infect the nose, the nose makes mucus to help wash the germs away. At fir...
Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Triple antibiotic agents are usually creams or ointments that contain 3 antimicrobial agents. The id...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...