Who shouldn’t use imipenem and cilastatin injections?

People who are allergic to imipenem, cilastatin or other carbapenems should not use an imipenem-cilastatin. Pregnant women may not be able to use this form of antibiotic because of potential health risks to the fetus. People who have a history of seizures, central nervous disorders or kidney disease can have adverse reactions to imipenem-cilastatin, including an increased risk for seizures or tremors.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...