What is ticarcillin disodium/clalvulanate potassium?

Ticarcillin disodium-clalvulanate potassium is an antibiotic that belongs to the group known as penicillins, used to fight bacteria in the body that cause infection. Ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium interferes with the growth of bacteria and consequently kills the bacteria. This drug is used to treat a number of serious infections, such as pneumonia, blood, bone and joint infections, urinary tract infections, severe vaginal infections, skin and stomach infections and others. Ticarcillin disodium-clalvulanate potassium is sold under the brand name Timentin. It is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved medicine. Ticarcillin disodium-clalvulanate potassium is given as an injection or an IV drip into the vein. Dosage depends on a number of factors, such as the condition being treated.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...