What should I know about ticarcillin-clavulanate before receiving it?

Prior to using Timentin (the brand name for the medication containing ticarcillin and clavulanate), you should provide your doctor with your complete medical history, including any medical conditions you have or have ever had. Be sure to tell your doctor if you have heart disease, congestive heart failure, a bleeding or clotting condition, kidney disease, low blood potassium, abnormal electrolyte blood level, dehydration, or diarrhea. It is important to tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant while taking ticarcillin-clavulanate. The FDA has classified ticarcillin-clavulanate as a pregnancy category B drug, which means studies indicate there may be no risk to a fetus from the medication, but that this data is inconclusive.

There also are inadequate studies to determine if it harms a nursing infant when passed through breast milk. A woman should discuss with her doctor any potential risks to her infant that may come as a result of taking this medication. Ticarcillin-clavulanate interferes with oral contraceptives and may render them ineffective. A woman should use an alternative form of birth control while taking the medication.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...