What should I know about ticarcillin-clavulanate before receiving it?

Prior to using Timentin (the brand name for the medication containing ticarcillin and clavulanate), you should provide your doctor with your complete medical history, including any medical conditions you have or have ever had. Be sure to tell your doctor if you have heart disease, congestive heart failure, a bleeding or clotting condition, kidney disease, low blood potassium, abnormal electrolyte blood level, dehydration, or diarrhea. It is important to tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant while taking ticarcillin-clavulanate. The FDA has classified ticarcillin-clavulanate as a pregnancy category B drug, which means studies indicate there may be no risk to a fetus from the medication, but that this data is inconclusive.

There also are inadequate studies to determine if it harms a nursing infant when passed through breast milk. A woman should discuss with her doctor any potential risks to her infant that may come as a result of taking this medication. Ticarcillin-clavulanate interferes with oral contraceptives and may render them ineffective. A woman should use an alternative form of birth control while taking the medication.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...