What are the side effects of trimethoprim?

Trimethoprim is a prescription medication that's used to treat certain bacterial infections, including urinary tract infections, respiratory infections, and middle ear infections. Always make sure you take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. In general, trimethoprim is taken by mouth, usually once a day at the same time each day. For trimethoprim to be effective, you must use it regularly, so keep taking it even if you feel better. If you stop taking the medication too early, the bacteria may continue to grow and the infection may come back. There are several different brand-names for this medication, including Proloprim and Trimpex. Generic versions are also available. Talk to your doctor to determine whether trimethoprim is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...