How soon after taking amikacin will my symptoms improve?

Symptoms of infection are varied and include: fever, pain, increased white blood cell counts. The amount of time it takes for the antibiotic to kill enough bacteria to relieve the symptoms depends on many things, including the susceptibility of the infecting bacteria to the drug, the site of the infection in the body, the severity of the infection and the state of the immune system. Some people may receive amikacin for less than a week, while others may receive it for months before the infection is gone.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat cholesteatoma?
Often, ear infections occur with cholesteatoma, and antibiotics are frequently used to treat those i...
How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...