How soon after taking amikacin will my symptoms improve?

Symptoms of infection are varied and include: fever, pain, increased white blood cell counts. The amount of time it takes for the antibiotic to kill enough bacteria to relieve the symptoms depends on many things, including the susceptibility of the infecting bacteria to the drug, the site of the infection in the body, the severity of the infection and the state of the immune system. Some people may receive amikacin for less than a week, while others may receive it for months before the infection is gone.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What is an antibiotic?
Dr. Ronald G. Glass, DDSDr. Ronald G. Glass, DDS
An antibiotic is a substance (usually a drug) that either inhibited growth or kills a germ. In order...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...