What are the side effects of telavancin (injection)?

While taking telavancin you may experience stomach upset, such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, decreased appetite, or diarrhea. You may get a metallic or soapy taste in your mouth, or you may suffer from headaches, dizzy spells, or the chills. You may also find your urine is unusually foamy. If the medication is administered too quickly, you may experience pain or redness at the site of injection. If these side effects persist or get worse, contact your doctor.  Call 911 for signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives or an itchy rash, swelling around the mouth or face, or chest tightness and difficulty breathing; irregular heartbeat; change in the amount of urine you produce; or severe dizziness or fainting spells. If you develop a fever, stomach cramps, watery or bloody stools any time up to two months after taking telavancin, contact your doctor. Do not take anti-diarrheal medications unless ordered by your physician. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...