What are the side effects of quinupristin-dalfopristin?

Common side effects of quinupristin-dalfopristin include: diarrhea; joint or muscle pain; nausea; and swelling, burning or itching at the injection site. (Be sure to stay hydrated when receiving quinupristin-dalfopristin, to counteract potential dehydration caused by diarrhea.)  In addition, long-term use also may lead to secondary infections.

Serious side effects include: blood in the urine or stools, chest pain, confusion, dizziness, severe diarrhea, fast heartbeat, fatigue, loss of appetite, personality changes, seizures, severe muscle or joint pain, shakiness, sudden onset of a cold sweat, unexplained weight loss, vision changes, vomiting, yellowing of skin or eyes and stomach pain or cramps. Talk to your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.

Allergic reactions can also occur. Call 911 for emergency medical help if you experience signs of an allergic reaction, such as swelling, hives and difficulty breathing.  

Unexpected side effects are also possible. Talk to your doctor if you experience an unanticipated reaction or unusual symptoms while receiving quinupristin-dalfopristin.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...