What are the side effects of trovafloxacin and azithromycin?

The most common side effects of trovafloxacin and azithromycin treatment are mild and may diminish as treatment progresses. These include mild diarrhea, a lightheaded or dizzy sensation, abdominal pain, nausea, headaches, vaginal discharge, and vaginal pain. Sun sensitivity can occur, but not commonly. While these side effects may not require a doctor's attention, some others should be discussed with your health-care provider immediately.

These include severe abdominal pain or tenderness, agitation and confusion, darker than usual urine, severe diarrhea, bloody stools, breathing difficulties, appetite reduction, swallowing problems, and an elevated temperature. Also see your doctor if you experience nausea, vomiting, calf and heel pain, accelerated heart rate, shakiness, tremors, shortness of breath, itching, red skin, skin rash, swelling, extreme fatigue, weakness, and yellowing of the eyes or skin.

It is important to realize that in rare cases, some side effects of this drug may not appear until weeks after you take the medicine. As with all medicines, there is the possibility of an allergic reaction to trovafloxacin or azithromycin. Get medical attention immediately by calling 911 if you experience severe allergy symptoms such as itching, hives, skin rash, swollen mouth or face, or problems  breathing.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...