What are the side effects of chloramphenicol sodium succinate?

Possible side effects of chloramphenicol sodium succinate include headaches, diarrhea and a bitter taste in the mouth. Serious side effects may include:

• weakness in the extremities
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • numbness
  • fever
  • itching
  • disorientation
  • skin disorders, such as hives
  • sore throat
  • depression
  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • swelling of the tongue
  • nausea

If you should experience any of these serious reactions, seek immediate medical attention. In newborns and infants, a condition known as gray baby syndrome, a toxic and potentially fatal reaction to the medication, can occur. Symptoms of Gray syndrome include a gray tinge to the skin, refusal to feed, drop in body temperature and loose, green bowel movements. Gray baby syndrome requires immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...