Who should not use ampicillin and sulbactam?

People who are allergic to ampicillin, sulbactam, penicillins or any ingredient in this medication, should not use ampicillin-sulbactam. People who do not have bacterial infections should not use this medication to treat their illness. People with mononucleosis, or who have heart or kidney disease, may not be able to take ampicillin-sulbactam. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should check with their doctors to see if this medication is safe for them to take. Ampicillin-sulbactam is recommended for use in patients older than 12 years of age.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...