Who should not use ampicillin and sulbactam?

People who are allergic to ampicillin, sulbactam, penicillins or any ingredient in this medication, should not use ampicillin-sulbactam. People who do not have bacterial infections should not use this medication to treat their illness. People with mononucleosis, or who have heart or kidney disease, may not be able to take ampicillin-sulbactam. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should check with their doctors to see if this medication is safe for them to take. Ampicillin-sulbactam is recommended for use in patients older than 12 years of age.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...