Who should not take ampicillin and sulbactam?

Your doctor will not give you ampicillin-sulbactam if you are allergic to any of the penicillin class of antibiotics:

• penicillin
  • amoxicillin
  • dicloxacillin
  • oxacillin

Tell your doctor if you are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics. Also, tell you doctor if you have:

• kidney disease
  • infectious mononucleosis (mono)
  • a bleeding or clotting disorder
  • history of diarrhea when taking antibiotics
  • any allergies

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...