Who should not take ampicillin and sulbactam?

Your doctor will not give you ampicillin-sulbactam if you are allergic to any of the penicillin class of antibiotics:

• penicillin
  • amoxicillin
  • dicloxacillin
  • oxacillin

Tell your doctor if you are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics. Also, tell you doctor if you have:

• kidney disease
  • infectious mononucleosis (mono)
  • a bleeding or clotting disorder
  • history of diarrhea when taking antibiotics
  • any allergies

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
Why can taking antibiotics sometimes be harmful?
Antibiotics-when taken for viral infection-can actually have a negative effect by killing only the s...