What should I know about neomycin?

Before beginning neomycin treatment, tell your doctor if you have Parkinson's disease, kidney problems, eighth-cranial nerve disease, myasthenia gravis, bowel blockage, nerve damage, stomach infection, diarrhea, dehydration, bowl ulcers or muscle weakness.

Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medications or foods, and give your doctor a complete list of all of the medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medications, supplements and herbal preparations. Other medications may interact with neomycin. Tell your doctor if you are currently taking penicillin, which may decrease the effectiveness of neomycin. It may increase the risk of kidney damage and hearing loss when taking with loop diuretics, methoxyglurane, cephalosporine, fludarabine, cyclosporine and nitrosureas.

Neomycin may increase the side effects of anticoagulants (warfarin), loop diuretics, bumetanide, methotrexate, digoxin, methoxyflurane, polypeptide antibiotics, vancomycin, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants and succinylcholine. Neomycin may decrease the effectiveness of digoxin and methotrexate.

Other medications that may interact with neomycin include: atracurium, alcuronium, cidofovir, decamethonium, cisatracurium, doxacurium fazadinium, ethacrynic acid, hexafluorenium, gallamine, mivacurium, metocurine, pipecuronium, pancuronium, rocuronium, tubocurarine and tacrolimus.

Neomycin has shown to be harmful to premature infants and the elderly. Neomycin is a pregnancy Category D medication, which means it is unsafe for an unborn child. It is unclear if this medication is passed to a breastfeeding infant. Talk to your doctor before taking neomycin if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or wish to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Your child may not need antibiotics for an ear infection (otitis media). In light of concerns over o...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...