Should I give my child antibiotics?

I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ear infections, the flu, or bronchitis -- all of which are usually caused by viruses. Antibiotics are designed to knock out bacterial infections, not viruses, yet every year in North America more than 50 million unnecessary and ineffective prescriptions for antibiotics are written to "treat" common viral infections. This misuse only worsens the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Don't get me wrong; these antibiotics are wonder drugs and millions of lives are saved every year because they kill off infections. Just be wise about using them. Giving kids common antibiotics, such as streptomycin and vancomycin, may damage their immune systems by eradicating good gut bacteria in their developing intestines. The result? Researchers think the ever-increasing use of antibiotics might be what's causing the number of allergic asthma cases to skyrocket. (There's been around a 50% increase in the past decade.) Now it's estimated that around 9 million kids in North America have this respiratory disease.

When your child comes down with a cold, flu, or other upper respiratory illness, ask the doc if antibiotics are really the best solution. Sometimes less is more.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
How do antibiotics work?
Each type of antibiotic targets a specific aspect of a bacteria's life by interfering with either th...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Common side effects of antibiotics are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, rashes and al...