Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?

Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an antibiotic if the doc says that your child has a virus. That will only increase the chances that she'll become infected with an antibiotic-resistant strain.

Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria. However, they are not effective against viruses, which are a different type of organism. Taking antibiotics will not help a viral infection and put the person at risk for worse bacterial infections in the future. Viral infections should be treated with supportive care such as rest and fluids or medicines to help control the symptoms such as cold medicines or cough medicines.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When should I take antibiotics?
Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...