Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?

Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria. However, they are not effective against viruses, which are a different type of organism. Taking antibiotics will not help a viral infection and put the person at risk for worse bacterial infections in the future. Viral infections should be treated with supportive care such as rest and fluids or medicines to help control the symptoms such as cold medicines or cough medicines.

Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an antibiotic if the doc says that your child has a virus. That will only increase the chances that she'll become infected with an antibiotic-resistant strain.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...