What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?

While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clothing or contact. Because of the moisture of the ointment you may not want to use a bandage, as it may not stick well to your skin.

You should watch for signs of infection. Signs of infection include: redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor. If you experience any sign of infection, you should contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...