What rules should I follow when using ticarcillin-clavulanate?

If you will be injecting ticarcillin-clavulanate at home, you will do so three to six times daily, evenly spaced, as directed by your doctor. Each injection will last about 30 minutes. You will need to set up a fairly consistent schedule for each day. Do not make any major changes in that schedule, and certainly don't stop the schedule without talking to your doctor or whoever (home care nurse) is helping to monitor your progress. If anything's blocking the flow of the IV, let your health care provider know right away so he or she can get you back on track.

Ticarcillin-clavulanate is available in ready-to-use IV bags that are frozen and in vials that require reconstitution and injection into an IV bag. You will need to know how to handle the type that you are given.

Before starting, make sure you examine the solution. Do not use if it's discolored in any way; you want this liquid to be clear and with no other material floating in it. Another good precaution before starting: make sure the IV bag has no leaks. To do this, gently squeeze it and look for drips.

1. Complete the course of the antibiotics.
  2. If you experience rash's or other side effects, report them to the doctor.
  3. Take the medication every day at the same time.
  4. If you miss a dose, take it when you remember that you missed it.
  5. Since it treat's an infection, you should ensure to get enough rest and sleep and eat a healthy diet.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Your child may not need antibiotics for an ear infection (otitis media). In light of concerns over o...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...