What are the risks associated with taking imipenem and cilastatin?

Because imipenem-cilastatin is an injection, there is risk of irritation and inflammation at the injection site. If you notice redness, swelling, pain or other symptoms of infection at the injection site, call your doctor. Taking imipenem-cilastatin during pregnancy may harm the developing fetus. Imipenem-cilastatin and other antibiotics can cause diarrhea, but you should not take any antidiarrheal medications without asking your doctor first. This drug also may pose a health risk for people who have asthma or who have seizures. Allergic reactions to imipenem and cilastatin are possible, as are other side effects. If you experience side effects, you should tell your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...