What are the risks associated with taking imipenem and cilastatin?

Because imipenem-cilastatin is an injection, there is risk of irritation and inflammation at the injection site. If you notice redness, swelling, pain or other symptoms of infection at the injection site, call your doctor. Taking imipenem-cilastatin during pregnancy may harm the developing fetus. Imipenem-cilastatin and other antibiotics can cause diarrhea, but you should not take any antidiarrheal medications without asking your doctor first. This drug also may pose a health risk for people who have asthma or who have seizures. Allergic reactions to imipenem and cilastatin are possible, as are other side effects. If you experience side effects, you should tell your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...