How does quinupristin-dalfopristin work to treat bacterial infections?

Quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid) is known as a streptogramin antibiotic. As its name suggests, quinupristin-dalfopristin is a combination of two different antibiotics: quinupristin and dalfopristin. Each of these antibiotics attaches to a specific structure within the bacterial cell, called a ribosome. Quinupristin attaches to one part of the ribosome, while dalfopristin attaches to another part. The combination of the two antibiotics is a powerful one: as individual antibiotics, each drug would be able to stop but not kill the bacteria. By working together, however, the combination antibiotic is able to kill the bacteria that is causing a serious infection.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Who should take antibiotics before going to the dentist?
Dr. Todd A. Welch, DMDDr. Todd A. Welch, DMD
You only need to take an antibiotic premedication if the dentist will be doing a procedure that invo...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...