How does quinupristin-dalfopristin work to treat bacterial infections?

Quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid) is known as a streptogramin antibiotic. As its name suggests, quinupristin-dalfopristin is a combination of two different antibiotics: quinupristin and dalfopristin. Each of these antibiotics attaches to a specific structure within the bacterial cell, called a ribosome. Quinupristin attaches to one part of the ribosome, while dalfopristin attaches to another part. The combination of the two antibiotics is a powerful one: as individual antibiotics, each drug would be able to stop but not kill the bacteria. By working together, however, the combination antibiotic is able to kill the bacteria that is causing a serious infection.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...