How does quinupristin-dalfopristin work to treat bacterial infections?

Quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid) is known as a streptogramin antibiotic. As its name suggests, quinupristin-dalfopristin is a combination of two different antibiotics: quinupristin and dalfopristin. Each of these antibiotics attaches to a specific structure within the bacterial cell, called a ribosome. Quinupristin attaches to one part of the ribosome, while dalfopristin attaches to another part. The combination of the two antibiotics is a powerful one: as individual antibiotics, each drug would be able to stop but not kill the bacteria. By working together, however, the combination antibiotic is able to kill the bacteria that is causing a serious infection.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Mitzi Conover, MDMitzi Conover, MD
Oftentimes, ear infections are treated with antibiotics. It's very common in children under the ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...