If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Sulfatrim Pediatric?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics
Sulfatrim Pediatric, also known as Bactrim, is a class C/D drug meaning that it is unsafe to give to pregnant women especially during term pregnancy. The Sulfatrim crosses the placenta to the fetus and may cause kernicterus or high levels of bilirubin causing damage to the brain when the baby is born.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...