If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Amikin Pediatric?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

Amikin Pediatric or amikacin sulfate is in the class D category for pregnant women meaning that it is not safe for women to use during pregnancy. Amikin rapidly crosses the placenta going to the kidneys and urine of the fetus causing damage. Ototoxicity is known to occur with other aminoglycosides and could potentially occur with Amikin.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
The more common side effects of antibiotics include diarrhea, digestive disturbances, yeast over...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
Is there a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin)?
There is a generic version of Baciguent (bacitracin). It is an inexpensive over-the-counter (OTC) me...