If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Amikin Pediatric?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

Amikin Pediatric or amikacin sulfate is in the class D category for pregnant women meaning that it is not safe for women to use during pregnancy. Amikin rapidly crosses the placenta going to the kidneys and urine of the fetus causing damage. Ototoxicity is known to occur with other aminoglycosides and could potentially occur with Amikin.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...
How do antibiotics work?
Each type of antibiotic targets a specific aspect of a bacteria's life by interfering with either th...