Who should not take ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium?

Ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium, also known as Timentin, should not be used by individuals who are allergic to ingredients in the medication or to penicillin. Chloramphenicol and tetracycline antibiotics may interact with ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium and should not be used together.

Women who use an oral contraceptive should use an alternative or additional means of birth control while using ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium. Ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium decreases the effectiveness of oral birth control.

It is important to tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium. The FDA has classified ticarcillin disodium/clavulanate potassium as a pregnancy Category B drug, meaning studies indicate no risk to a fetus from the medication, but the evidence is inconclusive. A woman should discuss with her doctor the potential risks to her baby if she breastfeeds while using this medication. Use caution and let your doctor know if you are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics, have asthma or any other medical conditions.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
How do antibiotics work with the body's immune system?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sometimes the body's immune system is unable to activate itself quickly enough to outpace the reprod...