Who should not receive telavancin?

People who are allergic to any of the ingredients in telavancin should not receive it. The medication has caused birth defects in test animals. Because of the risk of birth defects, pregnant women should not receive telavancin without first consulting their doctor. While receiving telavancin, unless you have not menstruated in more than 24 months, have passed menopause or have had your tubes tied or uterus removed, your doctor will ask that you use two methods of birth control in order to minimize the risks of becoming pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...