How does Macrodantin interact with other medications or food?

Antacids, particularly those that contain magnesium trisilicate, may decrease the absorption of the nitrofurantoin and thus decrease the bacteria-killing effects of Macrodantin. Uricosuric drugs, such as  probenecid and sulfinpyrazone, can reduce the elimination of Macrodantin and increase the risk of side effects.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
The more common side effects of antibiotics include diarrhea, digestive disturbances, yeast over...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...