How does Macrodantin interact with other medications or food?

Antacids, particularly those that contain magnesium trisilicate, may decrease the absorption of the nitrofurantoin and thus decrease the bacteria-killing effects of Macrodantin. Uricosuric drugs, such as  probenecid and sulfinpyrazone, can reduce the elimination of Macrodantin and increase the risk of side effects.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should continue taking antibiotics even if you feel better to be sure to kill off all the bacter...
Should I give my child antibiotics for an ear infection?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Your child may not need antibiotics for an ear infection (otitis media). In light of concerns over o...