What should I know about imipenem and cilastatin for injection?

Before receiving imipenem-cilastatin sodium, it's important to know that it comes in two forms that are administered differently. The IM form is injected directly into a muscle, while the IV form is administered slowly into a vein. The two forms and how they are administered should not be confused. It's also important to know that certain medications can interact with either formulation. These medications include:

• penicillins
  • cephalosporins
  • ganciclovir
  • theophylline
  • valproic acid
  • cyclosporine

Certain health conditions can increase the risk for imipenem-cilastatin side effects, including seizures or tremors. These health conditions include:

• kidney disease
  • history of seizures
  • brain disorders/disease

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using imipenem-cilastatin. If you become pregnant while taking this antibiotic, tell your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...