What should I know before my child receives gentamicin injection pediatric?

Before your child receives gentamicin injection pediatric, you should know that:
  • Risks associated with this medication include: serious nerve damage and kidney problems, especially in people with existing kidney problems or who take large doses of gentamicin for prolonged periods of time. Damage may result in ear problems (e.g., hearing loss), permanent difficulty with balance and muscle problems. Talk to your doctor right away if your child develops symptoms, including seizures, muscle twitches, numbness, ringing in the ears, hearing loss, dizziness, skin tingling or changes in urine production.
  • If injecting at home, do not use product that looks cloudy or discolored or has particles in it.       
  • Needles and syringes must be properly disposed of using a puncture-resistant container. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...